With «Independence Day – Resurgence» coming to theaters, it’s only appropriate to share my last big filmschool project from 2007: «Aurora – A Fictitious Trailer», which was heavy influenced by over-the-top, big event, high-concept blockbusters like «ID4».
And here’s some outtakes and bloopers for your viewing pleasure:
Big Thanks to all the nice people who helped realizing this project. I had the most fun I’d had in a long time creating it.
Being a nod to the idea what «Independence Day» would’ve looked like if it was set in Switzerland, I named the project inspired by the first verse of the Swiss national anthem: «Trittst im Morgenrot daher…» («When the morning skies grow red, and over us their radiance shed Thou, O Lord, appeareth in their light…») and I borrowed the name of the roman goddess of dawn: Aurora,… mostly because it sounds cool.
What’s the fastest possible way to transfer your pictures and videos from your iPhone to your MacBook? I’don’t know… but here’s a step-by-step tutorial how not to do it:
- AirDrop: iPhone can’t find MacBook Air.
- AirDrop: iPhone finds MacBook, but doesn’t transfer too much.
- Looking for iCloud. No chance.
- Activate iCloud on iPhone.
- Can’t transfer photos to iCloud (can I?)
- Trying transmitting images via E-Mail: Forget it!
- Try Dropbox: Veery slow…
- Checking again Airdrop: Still nothing.
- Checking Dropbox: Still very slow…
- Setting up USB. Trying Photos App. Realizing: Not enough storage space on MacBook Air to save all the pics. Aha!
- Switching to (too old) MacBook Pro. Plugging in USB…
- Starting up Photos App: «Preparing Photos: 13%,… 14%,…» Veery slow, again.
- Starting up Picasa… Bad Idea. RAM’s getting upset.
- Checking again the Dropbox-Folder. Almost done. OK, I surrender.
- Uploading designated pics from MacBook to WordPress: HTTP ERROR! (Panorama-Pics are too big, I figure)
- Resizing via Photoshop (RAM disagrees)…
- Finally uploading Gallery.
- Uploading Slo-Mo Video directly from iOS to YouTube and wondering: will it be in Slow-Motion?
- It IS in slo-mo!
- Finally ready to publish another article noone’s gonna read and…
- …good night, I’ve had enough for today!
Slightly better than the first one, but this time the exposure was off …Still learning. But Rammstein must’ve been delivering a great concert as far as I could tell from where I was standing. (And iMovie managed to suck even more balls than yesterday.)
Disclaimer: I just replaced the first video with a second, hopefully better version, with less picture brightening, the original aspect ratio, different sound and in 4k resolution.
My first time-laps video with pictures of «Allmend Rockt» featuring Iron Maiden and others:
Not too impressive, but I learned three things today:
- My camera doesn’t charge via USB.
- Auto Focus is a terrible idea when it rains.
- iMovie still, truly sucks balls, so hard, in so many ways.
Just replaced the original video with a 4k version for better viewing experience.
How the new Header Pic was made:
Another «gem» back from 2004: Based on some cel animation exercises in art school: «Dust’n’Air»
10 years ago, I produced one of my first (stupid) videos (with lots of copyrighted material). Wouldn’t be the last.
I give you: «March of the Penguins II»
Fun fact (which makes this badly aged clip somewhat interesting): As I later found out, this video may have been intended to be pure nonsense, but there is (was?) a thriving penguin population on the Falkland Islands because «penguins aren’t heavy enough to set off the mines [back from the Falkland Islands War], but because sheep and humans are, the little guys have the minefields all to themselves» (Source)
Putting the «Fun» back in «Funcking Laundry Day». http://youtu.be/rUt9hfrbrn4
Another »gem» from 2013.